Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Spirit of Gay Marriage

As I was driving Art to work at the San Francisco International Airport this morning, we were listening to the gay banter of Fernando & Greg on energy 92.7 FM when we heard the incredible news. Today the California Supreme Court ruled that gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to marry. I almost started to cry!

When Mayor Gavin Newsom allowed gays and lesbians to marry over 4 years ago, Art and I jumped at the historic opportunity. On February 16, 2004, we went to City Hall at 6 am and waited over 7 hours in line to get married. This picture was taken by our best friend Da'Mon Vann on the steps of City Hall right after we got married. It was a pivotal moment in my life. We were one of over 4,000 couples to make history those few days. I never thought the day would come when I would be able to get legally married!

There are five countries today that allow gays and lesbians to legally marry: the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada and South Africa. Massachusetts is the only other state in the United States to allow this. When I heard the news today, I thought, this is just like Canadians having universal access to health care. No one gets denied at the hospital counter if they need health care. Now, Art and I won't get denied at City Hall for wanting to be married. It gives me hope that, maybe, universal health care may not be that far off in this country.

It's a grand shift in world consciousness when we uplift and embrace the principle of inclusion. We heal perceptions of division and separation. We reaffirm our Oneness.

Today is also Art's birthday, and tonight we're going to celebrate. We'll toast to his parents for birthing the incredible love presence known as Art into the world. And we'll toast to the Divine Love Presence that reveals itself as all of the gay and lesbian couples throughout California who will be getting married in the next few months. Cheers to Love!

No comments: